By John Fitch
This quantity is a better half to the author's new Loeb version of Seneca's tragedies (vol. 1, 2002; vol. 2, 2004). It bargains purposes for his editorial offerings, and explains his interpretations of the textual content as mirrored in his translation. Hercules Oetanus and Octavia, now ordinarily considered as imitations of Senecan drama, are either incorporated. the quantity is meant to be learn along Otto Zwierlein's Kritische Kommentar, released in 1986. within the intervening years there was a lot new paintings concerning Seneca's textual content, together with full-scale variants with statement on person performs, comparable to Keulen's Troades, T?chterle's Oedipus and Ferri's Octavia. Annaeana Tragica seeks to complement and increase Zwierlein's paintings within the gentle of this new fabric. An appendix experiences the scholarly controversy about the anapaestic odes of those performs, and provides clean proof suitable to the difficulty.
Read or Download Annaeana Tragica: Notes On the Text of Seneca's Tragedies (Mnemosyne, Bibliotheca Classica Batava Supplementum) PDF
Similar interior decorating books
This e-book is ready the communicative goal and the viewers of the Confessions. It illuminates the measure to which the communicative function of the paintings is to transform its readers, i. e. a protreptic function, and the measure to which the objective viewers will be pointed out as Augustine's capability Manichaean readers.
This paintings covers Flavius Josephus' presentation of the ceremonial dinner of Passover in his works. It analyzes the texts within which Flavius Josephus mentions this ceremonial dinner in his paraphrase of the Bible. Then the references to Passover within the remainder of his works are thought of.
Rebecca Yaker, co-author of the best-selling One-Yard Wonders, deals this whole advent to creating your individual curtains, overlaying every little thing from measuring to calculating yardage, choosing the simplest materials, stitching your curtains, including linings, and choosing the correct furniture and for placing.
The best issues approximately operating at house is so that you can make a decision precisely the way you wish your place of work to appear. With the aid of Niall Barretts first-of-a-kind publication, you can also make the main of operating within the convenience of domestic by way of making a domestic paintings area that works for you. development the customized domestic workplace bargains professional-level, useful suggestion on designing and development a really customized paintings house.
- The Many Canons of Tibetan Buddhism
- Theophrastus of Eresus: Sources for His Life, Writings Thought and Influence (Philosophia Antiqua)
- Medical and Dental space planning
- Studien Zur Geschichte Und Archaologie Des Byzantinischen Cherson
- The Iter Italicum And The Northern Netherlands: Dutch Students At Italian Universities And Their Role In The Netherlands' Society (1426-1575) (Education and Society in the Middle Ages and Renaissance)
- Book III of the Sibylline Oracles and Its Social Setting: With an Introduction, Translation, and Commentary
Extra info for Annaeana Tragica: Notes On the Text of Seneca's Tragedies (Mnemosyne, Bibliotheca Classica Batava Supplementum)
4 philosophia sacrum quiddam est, with insufficient regard to context. Clearly “philosophy is a holy kind of thing” is meaningful, whereas “a holy kind of thing belonging to fallen kingship” would not be. 36 TROADES decies . ’s style in anapaests, cf. 132–33 accipe . /accipe, 160–62 felix . /felix . /felix. v. 7), EA’s dimissa “goes admirably with libera nodo” (Courtney 1970 199). Keulen well cites Pha 401f. nodo comas/coegit emisitque, where again the constraint/release dichotomy is present. Tro 120 Schrader followed by Zwierlein replaced EA iacent with patent, but the paradosis yields the familiar association of iacere with an adjacent perfect participle, examples of which are given above on 15: in anapaests cf.
G. Lucr. 965 suis in sedibus intus, “in their habitations within,” V. Aen. ” Bill. compares Oed 582, where immenso sinu, similarly at verse-end, similarly refers to an immense abyss; add Thy 1024 immani sinu. HERCULES 23 Herc 683f. Of nine uses of the singular ablative unda in STrag, eight refer to particular rivers, one to a narrow strait, and only one to the sea (Pha 182); of ten uses of the plural ablative undis, seven refer to the sea, and only one to a particular river (Tro 847). This pattern of usage strengthens the arguments given in my comm.
54. Zw. objects (1991 119) that 197 taken so would be the result of the actions of 198–99, and could not therefore precede them; but this is excessively logical. g. Thy 727 adicitque fratri, “and he adds him to his brother” (viz. s. 2. g. by Gronovius and Fantham, explains that Achilles interrupted the progress of the day by a moment of darkness, before re-entering the underworld. It is doubtful, however, whether Sen. would have expressed such an idea with divisit. Baden compared Var. 5 aestivum diem si non diffinderem meo insiticio somno meridie, but diem there refers to the whole day as a unit that can be subdivided, which is not the sense of diem here.