By Baldev Raj (auth.), Baldev Raj, Johan Koerts (eds.)
PREFACE TO the gathering PREAMBLE The editors are happy to offer a variety of Henri Theil's contributions to economics and econometrics in 3 volumes. In quantity I we have now supplied an outline of Theil's contributions, a short biography, an annotated bibliography of his examine, and a range of released and unpublished articles and chapters in books facing issues in econometrics. quantity IT includes Theil's contributions to call for research and data idea. quantity ITI comprises Theil's contributions in monetary coverage and forecasting, and administration technological know-how. the choice of articles is meant to supply examples of Theil's many seminal and pathbreaking contributions to economics in such components as econometrics, data, call for research, details concept, financial coverage research, aggregation idea, forecasting, index numbers, administration technology, sociology, operations learn, greater schooling and masses extra. the gathering is usually meant to function a tribute to him at the get together of his 67th birthday.! those 3 volumes additionally spotlight a few of Theil's contributions and repair to the occupation as a pace-setter, consultant, administrator, instructor, and researcher. Theil's contributions, which surround many disciplines, were greatly pointed out either in clinical journals. those citations frequently position Theil one of the best 10 researchers (ranked in line with variety of occasions stated) on the earth in a number of disciplines.
Read or Download Henri Theil’s Contributions to Economics and Econometrics: Econometric Theory and Methodology PDF
Best economics books
"Hell is empty, and
the entire devils are right here. "
-Shakespeare, The Tempest
once the monetary difficulty erupted, the finger-pointing started. may still the blame fall on Wall road, major highway, or Pennsylvania street? On grasping investors, faulty regulators, sleazy subprime businesses, cowardly legislators, or clueless domestic dealers?
in keeping with Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera, of America's so much acclaimed enterprise reporters, the true solution is the entire above-and extra. Many devils helped carry hell to the economic system. And the whole tale, in all of its complexity and aspect, is just like the legend of the blind males and the elephant. nearly everybody has overlooked the large photograph. nearly not anyone has placed every thing jointly.
all of the Devils Are the following is going again a number of many years to weave the hidden heritage of the monetary predicament in a manner no prior publication has performed. It explores the motivations of everybody from well-known CEOs, cupboard secretaries, and politicians to nameless creditors, debtors, analysts, and Wall highway investors. It delves into the robust American mythology of homeownership. And it proves that the problem eventually wasn't approximately finance in any respect; it was once approximately human nature.
one of the devils you'll meet in brilliant aspect:
• Angelo Mozilo, the CEO of national, who dreamed of spreading homeownership to the loads, basically to succumb to the peer pressure-and the oversized profits-of the sleaziest subprime lending.
• Roland Arnall, a revered philanthropist and diplomat, who made his fortune construction Ameriquest, a subprime lending empire that trusted blatantly misleading lending practices.
• Hank Greenberg, who equipped AIG right into a Rube Goldberg contraption with an undeserved triple-A ranking, and who ran it so tightly that he used to be the single person who knew the place all of the our bodies have been buried.
• Stan O'Neal of Merrill Lynch, aloof and suspicious, who suffered from "Goldman envy" and drove a proud previous company into the floor through selling cronies and pushing out his smartest lieutenants.
• Lloyd Blankfein, who helped flip Goldman Sachs from a tradition that famously positioned consumers first to at least one that made consumers secondary to its personal base line.
• Franklin Raines of Fannie Mae, who (like his predecessors) bullied regulators into submission and permit his company float clear of its unique, noble challenge.
• Brian Clarkson of Moody's, who aggressively driven to extend his score agency's marketplace proportion and inventory fee, on the price of its integrity.
• Alan Greenspan, the mythical maestro of the Federal Reserve, who overlooked the proof of a becoming housing bubble and grew to become a blind eye to the lending practices that eventually introduced down Wall Street-and inflicted huge, immense soreness at the state.
simply as McLean's the neatest men within the Room used to be hailed because the most sensible Enron e-book on a crowded shelf, so will the entire Devils Are right here be remembered for eventually making feel of the meltdown and its outcomes.
What do economists learn about land-and how they comprehend? The Oxford guide of Land Economics describes the newest advancements within the fields of economics that research land, together with ordinary source economics, environmental economics, neighborhood technology, and concrete economics. The instruction manual argues, first, that land is a subject that integrates those fields and moment, that effective integration more and more happens not only inside of economics but additionally throughout disciplines.
This ebook will be defined as a improvement of my Masters thesis, 'The Economics of A. R. J. Turgot' written on the collage of Sydney in 1961-62. It has for this reason been many years within the making and, understand that, I in curred many an highbrow debt in this interval which i want to recognize right here.
The earlier method of the foreign debt main issue has been regularly in response to traditional banking precept within which debt needed to be paid again in fuH and in time. overseas lending used to be a functionality of the perceived credit rating of debtor nation and the go back on funding (ROI). If debtor state run into problems and had issues of provider funds - it was once as a rule assumed that the debt-related expenses have been mismanaged.
- Meatonomics: How the Rigged Economics of the Meat and Dairy Industries Are Encouraging You to Consume Way More Than You Shouldand How to Eat Better, Live Longer, and Spend Smarter
- Fair Not Flat: How to Make the Tax System Better and Simpler
- Le grand méchant marché : Décryptage d'un fantasme français
- Economics of Shipping Practice and Management
- Paper Pound, 1797-1821
Additional resources for Henri Theil’s Contributions to Economics and Econometrics: Econometric Theory and Methodology
A. : 1975, "Inflation expectations," Economica, 42, 123-38. : 1974, "Rationality in Popular Price Expectations," unpublished manuscript, Princeton University. , and Wayne A. Fuller: 1979, "Distribution of the Estimators for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Journal of the American Statistical Association, June, 423-31. W. L. Thornton: 1991, "A Primer on Co-integration with an Application to Money and Income," The Federal Reserve Bank of St. 2, 58-78. J. Granger: 1987, "Co-Integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation and Testing," Econometrica, March, 251-76.
Brooks, DiagonaJizing the Hessian Matrix of the Consumer's Utility Function, 1970. Shmuel Goldman, An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Functional Forms of Demand Systems, 1971. S. House of Representatives, 1947-1968: An Informational Theoretic Approach, 1971. Anthony J. Finizza, Estimation of Demand Equations for a Subgroup of Meat Commodities, 1971. John D. Paulus, The Estimation of Large Systems of Consumer Demand Equations Using Stochastic Prior Information, 1972. Fernando de H. Barbosa, Rational Random Behavior: Extensions and Applications, 1975.
In particular, he has been able to fruitfully apply the concepts of infonnation and entropy. Without these concepts he could not have fonnulated his new approach towards estimating unknown parameters from a probability distribution - his maximum entropy approach. The theory of rational stochastic behaviour, explained in his book The System-Wide Approach to Microeconomics, relies on these concepts. To be able to say something about this recent theory developed by Theil, which meets the wish of Bentzel and Hansen, we need to discuss the concepts of infonnation and entropy in more detail.