By Henri Theil (auth.), Baldev Raj, Johan Koerts (eds.)
PREFACE TO the gathering PREAMBLE The editors are happy to offer a variety of Henri Theil's contributions to economics and econometrics in 3 volumes. In quantity I we have now supplied an summary of Theil's contributions, a short biography, an annotated bibliography of his examine, and a variety of released and unpublished articles and chapters in books facing themes in econometrics. quantity II comprises Theil's contributions to call for research and data idea. quantity III contains Theil's contributions in monetary coverage and forecasting, and administration technological know-how. the choice of articles is meant to supply examples of Theil's many seminal and pathbreaking contributions to economics in such components as econometrics, information, call for research, info conception, financial coverage research, aggregation idea, forecasting, index numbers, administration technology, sociology, operations learn, larger schooling and lots more and plenty extra. the gathering is additionally meant to function a tribute to him at the get together of his 68th birthday: those 3 volumes additionally spotlight a few of Theil's contributions and repair to the career as a pacesetter, consultant, administrator, instructor, and researcher. Theil's contributions, which surround many disciplines, were commonly pointed out either in clinical journals. those citations usually position Theil between 10 researchers (ranked in line with variety of occasions mentioned) on the planet in quite a few the pinnacle disciplines.
Read Online or Download Henri Theil’s Contributions to Economics and Econometrics: Volume II: Consumer Demand Analysis and Information Theory PDF
Similar economics books
"Hell is empty, and
the entire devils are right here. "
-Shakespeare, The Tempest
once the monetary problem erupted, the finger-pointing all started. should still the blame fall on Wall highway, major road, or Pennsylvania street? On grasping investors, erroneous regulators, sleazy subprime businesses, cowardly legislators, or clueless domestic dealers?
in response to Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera, of America's so much acclaimed company reporters, the true solution is all the above-and extra. Many devils helped convey hell to the economic system. And the complete tale, in all of its complexity and element, is just like the legend of the blind males and the elephant. virtually everybody has overlooked the large photo. virtually not anyone has positioned every little thing jointly.
all of the Devils Are right here is going again a number of a long time to weave the hidden heritage of the monetary challenge in a fashion no prior e-book has performed. It explores the motivations of each person from well-known CEOs, cupboard secretaries, and politicians to nameless creditors, debtors, analysts, and Wall road investors. It delves into the robust American mythology of homeownership. And it proves that the situation finally wasn't approximately finance in any respect; it used to be approximately human nature.
one of the devils you'll meet in brilliant aspect:
• Angelo Mozilo, the CEO of national, who dreamed of spreading homeownership to the hundreds, simply to succumb to the peer pressure-and the oversized profits-of the sleaziest subprime lending.
• Roland Arnall, a revered philanthropist and diplomat, who made his fortune development Ameriquest, a subprime lending empire that trusted blatantly misleading lending practices.
• Hank Greenberg, who outfitted AIG right into a Rube Goldberg contraption with an undeserved triple-A score, and who ran it so tightly that he used to be the single person who knew the place the entire our bodies have been buried.
• Stan O'Neal of Merrill Lynch, aloof and suspicious, who suffered from "Goldman envy" and drove a proud previous company into the floor through selling cronies and pushing out his smartest lieutenants.
• Lloyd Blankfein, who helped flip Goldman Sachs from a tradition that famously positioned consumers first to 1 that made consumers secondary to its personal final analysis.
• Franklin Raines of Fannie Mae, who (like his predecessors) bullied regulators into submission and permit his company float clear of its unique, noble project.
• Brian Clarkson of Moody's, who aggressively driven to extend his ranking agency's marketplace percentage and inventory rate, on the fee of its integrity.
• Alan Greenspan, the mythical maestro of the Federal Reserve, who overlooked the proof of a transforming into housing bubble and grew to become a blind eye to the lending practices that finally introduced down Wall Street-and inflicted huge, immense soreness at the state.
simply as McLean's the neatest men within the Room used to be hailed because the top Enron publication on a crowded shelf, so will all of the Devils Are right here be remembered for eventually making experience of the meltdown and its effects.
What do economists find out about land-and how they comprehend? The Oxford guide of Land Economics describes the most recent advancements within the fields of economics that research land, together with traditional source economics, environmental economics, nearby technology, and concrete economics. The instruction manual argues, first, that land is a subject that integrates those fields and moment, that effective integration more and more happens not only inside of economics but in addition throughout disciplines.
This e-book will be defined as a improvement of my Masters thesis, 'The Economics of A. R. J. Turgot' written on the college of Sydney in 1961-62. It has for this reason been many years within the making and, understand that, I in curred many an highbrow debt in this interval which i want to recognize the following.
The previous method of the foreign debt predicament has been ordinarily in keeping with traditional banking precept during which debt needed to be paid again in fuH and in time. overseas lending was once a functionality of the perceived credit rating of debtor state and the go back on funding (ROI). If debtor state run into problems and had issues of carrier funds - it used to be in general assumed that the debt-related expenses have been mismanaged.
- The Economics of Forestry: Modern Theory and Practice
- Economics of Atomic Energy. The Atoms for Peace Series
- Menace of the Herd or Procrustes at Large
- What do Economists Contribute?
Extra info for Henri Theil’s Contributions to Economics and Econometrics: Volume II: Consumer Demand Analysis and Information Theory
Houthakker and SJ. 1. A section below will be devoted to a comparison of one of their hypotheses-which came to our attention just before this paper was completed-with our results. 2 THE MATERIAL; THE VARIABLES; THE EQUATIONS During the period March, 1934 - February, 1935, a budget enquiry was held in Amsterdam. The number of participating families was 184; a part of them consisted of clerical families, the remaining part being composed of families of manual workers. It will be observed that these K-terms are not invariant against changes of scale; this requires only an unimportant modification.
The sign of the covariance is no longer detennined by the degree to which i and j 6 -e3 is positive semi-definite, because it is possible to write -x'C3x as -z'Cz, which definite. is positive semi- 623 Substitution, Complementarity, and the Residual Variation around Engel Curves the budget. Instead, we should consider the substitution tenns in which i enters together with all commodities h, and also the tenns in which j enters with all k. In section 5 h and k were identical commodities, but this is no longer the case.
N. If this assumption is indeed satisfied, then the disturbances Vj of the Engel curves are subject to a probability distribution, and they are uncorrelated with income. The latter condition will be weakened in section 7. ·spect to their linear preference coefficients. 5. l) for the variance of the disturbances of the Engel curve for xj over the set of families participating in the survey. The mean value of vj is of course zero because of Assumption rna. 2) where is the covariance of the linear preference coefficients ah and at> which is, according to assumption rna, the same for all families.